Thursday, July 2, 2015

Rain, Rain, Go Away Welcome Song

I have a large (5 foot), beautiful sounding rainstick, a miniature (14") rainstick, and a pair of thick drinking glasses for this welcome song/activity.

If you don't have a rainstick, the internet is full of DIY craft instructions for recycling paper tubes into rainsticks.

INTRODUCE THE RAINSTICK

It's so fun to ask the kids what they think it is, what a good name for it might be, what it is made of.

Then produce the sound, and ask them what it sounds like. You will get many answers. Mostly they will want to start guessing what is inside. Since I don't know what is in mine, it is fun to keep it a mystery.

Ask them: "Could it be marshmallows?"
They will say "NO!"
"Could it be feathers?" "Why not?"

They understand so much about acoustical properties already.

Each child now gets a turn to tip the rainstick. They discover that lifting it slowly produces softer sounds, lifting it quickly makes louder sounds, and some will shake it.

While they have their turn, we sing:

Rain, rain, go away
Come again another day
(Child's Name) wants to play
Rain, rain go away

Week one I use the large rainstick, then for another week or two I use the little one which is easier to pass around the circle.

INTRODUCE THE WATER GLASSES

For the last week of using this welcome song, I bring two thick water glasses or jars from home that I know will give me the first two tones of the song (Sol Mi). Usually I have to tune one or both by adding a little water for the perfect pitch.

First, I preach a little to them about asking their parents before banging on their glasses at home! I show them mine are very thick and not likely to break.

Then using a spoon or a triangle beater I demonstrate playing the water glasses to our tune, but I only use the first two lines this time.

 sol       mi     sol    sol     mi       sol      sol    mi     x    sol    sol     mi
Rain,  rain,   go     a-    way    Come   a-   gain   a-   no-  ther   day

Each child then gets a turn playing the water glassses. I help them just a little if they need it. Some get very excited and want to sing the whole song. That's OK too!

No comments:

Post a Comment