Saturday, July 18, 2015

Skip to My Lou as a Welcome Song and Story Time

I learned  this from another music teacher, and it's always been a favorite. If you want to add a manners lesson to this song, teach them how to shake hands.

If a child does not know how to skip, I encourage them that it's OK to just run and hop. They will figure something out.

I also found a cute picture book that tells a story using the melody & chorus. Very engaging!

Extend your hand to a child, singing to the verse tune:
"Good Morning Taylor, how are you?" 
Grasp their hand in greeting and help them rise to standing.
Go to the next child and repeat the actions
"Good Morning Jesse, how are you?"
And a third child...
"Good Morning Casey, how are you?" 
"Skip to my Lou my Darlin' "
Now the three children you have helped stand up follow you skipping outside the circle as you sing the chorus:
"Lou, Lou, skip to my Lou,
"Lou, Lou, skip to my Lou,
"Lou, Lou, skip to my Lou,
Skip to my Lou my Darlin' "

Those three sit back down. Repeat for the next three children. If there are two kids at the last turn that works just fine, but if there is only going to be one I end with a group of four.

When everyone has had a turn, I sing:
"Good Morning Sunshine, how are you?
Everybody stand up with me too,
Let's ALL skip around the room!
Skip to my Lou my Darlin' "

We all skip to the chorus, and I finish by singing
"Everybody can sit back down"

And for storytime ~


Skip to My Lou by Nadine Bernard Westcott, a Scholastic book, available through book sellers online.

The kids love the crazy pictures as the animals come in the house and make a big mess! Hurry quick! Mom and Dad are coming home! Skip to my Lou my Darlin'. You can sing the whole book, as it follows the song structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment