Thursday, October 18, 2012

Favorite October Music part one, The Wide-Eyed Owl

Yesterday, one of the boys in my class was so glad his Mom was there to learn how to sing "The Wide Eyed Owl" with us. "I've been trying to teach you that!" he exclaimed. 

I tried to find an example of this on the internet, and realized that I think have combined an old song about owls that my mother used to sing for me as a child -- with a fingerplay poem.

Here is a link to the page I probably found the fingerplay on originally: atozkidsstuff.com/owls

I am also posting a little video so you can hear the tune.

The Wide Eyed Owl 
 
There's a wide-eyed owl, (circle fingers around eyes)

with a pointed nose,
(make a pointy beak with fingers over your nose)

with two pointed ears,
(with index fingers on head)

and claws for toes.
(make hands into claws)

He lives in a tree. (arms in big circle over head)

And looks down on you (one hand over brow, looking around the room)

flaps his wings, and cries, 
(flap elbows)

"Whoooooo." (cup hands over mouth, allow voice to slide down a fifth to "do")



Just for fun, here is the song my mom used to sing (this is where the melody came from)

The wise old owl is a curious fellow he has
Ears like a cat and his eyes are yellow!
He lives on mice and grasshoppers too,
And late at night he cries: whoooooooo!

1 comment:

  1. 70 plus years and these lyrics just popped up in my head from my childhood, AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete