Wednesday, October 31, 2012

6 Picture Books for Preschool Music Class, Storytime Part Two

Here are the books I have used so far this year.


Going to Sleep on the Farm

I made up a simple lullaby melody, and sing the sweet rhyming text. The kids like to volunteer what they know about how animals sleep. I ask them if they would like to sleep like the animals in the story: in the hay, standing up, in a nest, or in a pig pile! 



The Boy With a Drum
"There Once Was a Boy with a Little Toy Drum, rat a tat, tat a tat, rum a tum tum"...
This enchanting story just begs for a drum to help with the telling. I use my Bodhran as a hand drum; my adult helper holds the book & turns the pages.
I ask the children to repeat some of the phrases in tempo, or just make animal sounds: "cluck cluck cluck" in rhythm -- but the drum never stops! At the end of the story, I kept the drum going, and we marched around the circle, making the various animal sounds from the story.
You might have to search for this wonderful book, but it is well worth it!

I am Porkchop  
by Ray Nelson, Kyle Holveck (Illustrator), Aaron Peeples (Illustrator), Julie Mohr-Hansen

Yet another book I picked up at a garage sale, and now realize it is out of print. If you can find a copy, this one is hilarious. Porkchop and his piggy friends have a band, and the farm animals sing along. The text is minimal, the illustrations are over-the-top crazy! The ducks are dressed up like jazz back up singers, the cows look like crooners in tuxedos, the dog is an Elvis impersonator, and the cat -- is Brunhilde -- complete with horned helmet and, um, costume.

I encourage participation by having the kids help me make the sounds of the instruments, or "sing" like the animals in the pictures.

The Owl who Became the Moon

I discovered the key to telling this story is to practically whisper the beautiful text, dramatically -- almost like a ghost story. I read the title first, and asked the children if an Owl Could Become the Moon, and when they said "No!", I told them we would find out in the story. This seemed to get them curious.
The pictures are dazzling, and the kids get very excited to point out the animals. The high train trestle fascinates them as well. They help me with all the sounds throughout the book: the train whistles: choooo choooo, the owl calls: whoooo, whoooo.

I Know a Wee Piggy

 Based on the song "I Know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly", the piggy is too little to win a ribbon in the pig show, so he runs through the fair, wallowing in things to turn himself into a work of art -- to win a ribbon in the art competition! The story concept was hard for the kids to grasp, but they enjoyed identifying the colors and where they came from: pink was cotton candy, green was freshly cut grass, white was milk, etc... I sang the text, but we spent a lot of time discussing each wonderfully illustrated page.


Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?

This one helps the kids start listening to the world around them. On every page, I had the kids ask the animals what they hear, (with the repetitious chant in the text) and on every page, they made the animal sounds suggested.  At the very end, there are magical illustrations of children in animal costumes. This makes it one of my favorites to use just before Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment