Thursday, December 31, 2015

Mr. Troll May I Cross Your Bridge?

This game is based vaguely on "Three Billy Goat's Gruff". The kids always love it!
It uses listening & creative skills, as well as taking turns and following
directions.

The kids line up at one side of the room, and I put out a "Bridge" in the middle of the room.

In the past I have used a low bench and held their hands for safety. This year I am going to construct something lower to the ground.

I tell them that they will have to ask the troll if they may cross the bridge.

Then we all sing (in a sing-song voice)

ALL: "Oh Mr. Troll, ---  may I cross your bridge?"

And I pick a child and say:

TEACHER: "You may cross my bridge if you ask me in a ___________ voice!"

(soft, loud, high, low, growly, happy, sad, robot, squeaky, whispering etc...)

And to help them understand, sometimes I demonstrate that voice, saying:

TEACHER: "May I cross your bridge?" in that kind of voice.

The child then asks:

CHILD: "May I cross your bridge?"

TEACHER: "Yes, you may!" 

After we have played the game once or twice, I usually don't need to demonstrate the voice types. The kids can also start to come up with their own funny voices.

Once they have crossed the bridge, they sit at the other end of the room while other children have a turn.

THE BRIDGE
For safety this year, I'm probably just going to use a board on the floor -- maybe with low pavers underneath if it is stable and won't flip up when stepped on.
No one got hurt in the past - this is just cautionary. Children's footwear fashions are tending towards stiff & chunky soles - not good for games requiring agility.

No comments:

Post a Comment