Sunday, January 11, 2015

Are You Sleeping? Triangle Welcome Song

I hold a triangle in my hand and ask the kids what it is. Of course it's a triangle! They are so smart.

Then I ask them how to play it. They have good ideas. I produce the beater and make some sounds, and they all agree this is correct.

Then I ask them what would happen if I hold it this way? I grasp it in my hand instead of by the string. They have theories. I play it now, and they are amazed at the difference in the sound. 

Now I ask the child on my right to pretend to sleep while I sing the folksong, but use the child's name instead of "Brother John":

Are you sleeping, are you sleeping

(Child's Name --- Child's Name)

Then I play the triangle gently as I sing

Morning bells are ringing, morning bells are ringing

Ding Ding Dong! Ding Ding Dong!


They almost always know to wake up when the triangle rings, but sometimes I need to instruct this. They soon get the idea.

Now I pass the triangle to the child who pretended to be asleep, and the child to the right of him/her "goes to sleep". I try to make sure the child does not ring the triangle until "Morning Bells are Ringing". 

Everyone gets a turn at being the sleeper and the ringer. 
The last child to get the triangle gets to wake up the whole class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment